Work permit system launched in Melbourne, but site plagued by outages. Follow all the latest news and updates, live
- ‘It has to work’: the reins are tightening on a Covid-stricken Victoria, but how did we get here?
- Full Story podcast: How Covid laid bare the cracks in aged care system
- Melbourne’s stage 4 restrictions; Victoria stage 3 restrictions
- Australian stats interactive; Vic cases map; NSW cases map
- Sign up for Guardian Australia’s coronavirus email
It’s amazing how time moves in a pandemic.
Q: On the pandemic leave payment, is this something you’re prepared to make available to other states?
PM: No, this is a disaster payment.
PM: if other states or territories want to enter into a similar arrangement, then I will be making an offer to those states
Victorian childcare providers and users should find out what the plan is for the industry in that state in the next hour, following the closure of centres to all but essential workers.
Bill Shorten however, says it shouldn’t need a new scheme, given Jobkeeper is already in place:
We can’t wind back the supports which were put in place for the pandemic when Victoria’s still going through the palm. It’s a sad day in Melbourne today.
We’ve got this… I sometimes feel, and you’ll excuse the degree of frustration, but it’s our small businesses who are doing it hard.